Our esteemed psychiatrists at the Miami Counseling & Resource Center, Diana Antia, M.D. and Evelia Iglesias, M.D., are board certified in adult psychiatry. Dr. Antia is also board certified in child & adolescent psychiatry. We are privileged to have the on-site leadership of Drs. Antia and Iglesias when consideration of the appropriateness of psychiatric medication is warranted. While many mental health issues and symptoms can be treated effectively with pure psychotherapy or counseling, there are times when prescribing psychiatric medication becomes important or essential. Mental health difficulties that are commonly treated with psychiatric medications include depression and other mood disorders (e.g. bipolar disorder or dysthymia), anxiety, panic, obsessive-compulsive disorders, psychosis, attention-deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) and eating disorders (e.g. anorexia and bulimia).Some of the most commonly prescribed psychiatric medications include:
- Anti-depressants such as the SSRI’s (Prozac, Paxil, Luvox, Zoloft, Celexa, Lexapro), Wellbutrin, Effexor & Remeron
- Anti-anxiety medications such as the benzodiazepines (Xanax, Ativan, Valium, Klonopin, Ambien), Buspar
- Mood-Stabilizers such as Lithium, Depakote, Carbamazepine & Lamictal
- Psycho-stimulants for attention-deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) such as Ritalin, Adderall & Concerta
- Anti-psychotics such as Seroquel, Risperdal, Zyprexa, Geodon & Abilify
If you are suffering from life distressing or inhibiting mental health symptoms, a consultation with Dr. Antia or Dr. Iglesias at the Miami Counseling & Resource Center may be your first step toward a healthier and happier life.